Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Being "Young and Naive" in the Year 2013

One of the greatest advantages I believe I have as a 19-year-old in the year 2013 is the ability to have such quick and easy access to any material that would help me through the crappy parts of life. I have the ability to go back to my dorm after class and check up on the latest information concerning the people I admire most, and with that, it's as though I have the best chance anyone in history has ever had at learning things in life that a 19-year-old formally would have had to spend a lifetime learning by himself or herself.

Take the life lesson of heartbreak, for instance. I have watched enough Vlogbrothers and ZeFrank videos on YouTube to know that the feeling one gets after being heartbroken the first time is a feeling that is indescribable and different from the feeling of heartbreak experienced by anyone else in one's life. It may be similar, but it is undoubtedly something no one can prepare for, and in that way, it is itself a life event that brings us all together in its strangeness.

I find it hard to understand the point of view of Nicholas Carr, who write articles online such as "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" or "This is Your Brain Online". Where these articles call for solutions of children and adults to quit using the Web to satisfy every itching curiosity that arises in them, I feel as though I have become a more mature person having the Internet always at my reach - as though I have a better understanding and connection to the world around me. Like I mentioned above, without a lot of the life lessons I learned from the Vlogbrothers, I know I would feel alone on a lot of issues I've faced in the past - and not just the heartbreak.

The Internet not only allows for a way to know that the issues we face as humans are faced by everyone, but also that the issues we face collectively pave the way for being able to connect to others in the natural quest we endeavor on to find others with whom we can relate in life.

I do not think that "Google is making us stupid," but rather that it is doing the opposite. The Internet is a highly developed means by which all may express their issues in life, and come together in their endeavors to make the best of them. It's hard in life this year to be "young and naive" with a world of relatable life lessons and information at my own fingertips - and I find that to be one of the most beautiful things about it.

1 comment:

  1. Very well written, Jenny. You've captured the perfect perspective on this issue.

    ReplyDelete