Tuesday, September 17, 2013

That Midwestern American Girl

Upon coming to Northern Ireland, I have found it very easy to have slipped into this persona of what seems to be expected of a Midwestern American girl. I thought I would be simply categorized as one of the international students from America, but it turns out that I am one of the very few who is not from a New England state or a big, internationally known city. And maybe it doesn't help that I love country music and have said "you all" a few times, but I feel like I'm from the cast of Little House on the Prairie next to the Germans, the French, the Irish, and the big city American international students. But I sure feel as though I miss the open Missouri land, the big cars, and my "hick" group of friends back home. I keep finding myself thinking about going back home to the Midwest and finally truly being content with where my immediate family has chosen to settle. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Missouri, and if I don't in my life find the opportunity to move away, for once that doesn't seem like a bad prospect at all. If I act and dress and speak as a Midwestern American girl does, for once I will no longer see it a persona, but rather a blessed trait from which I may take pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment