Thursday, October 24, 2013

Who Makes These Changes

The title of this blog post is from the title of a poem by Jelaluddin Rumi.

It's difficult to put into words how I feel for my current emotional shock, which was brought on by watching the new documentary by Tom Shadyac called "I Am." It explains and sums up exactly what I feel to be wrong with the world, and suggests the solutions for these ailments to be simple, yet empowering acts. One of the quotes from the film that hit me hardest came from a philosopher. He said, "There's no such thing as a tiny act...It all matters." What a powerful statement in such few words. It really sums up the main theme of the film, which is that we are all connected, and when we can all live our daily lives with that consciousness in mind, that's when we will truly begin to see change in the world.

I've learned that, unlike any other genre in film, I never feel as inspired to write as much as I do after watching documentaries. I'm going to make it a habit to write after watching documentaries in the future (even when they leave me at a loss for words as this beautiful one did).

No comments:

Post a Comment