Monday, April 14, 2014

It Is Impossible to Live Without Failing

Today I sat and pondered the usefulness of my talent of writing: not only the fact that I could so easily call it a talent (if it is truly that) but also if I could save lives with it the way my parents do with theirs. Could I be so bold as to say that my writing would be as significant in another's life as was Jane Austen's or Scott Westerfeld's in mine? Would it be a shot in the dark just as good as any to aim with my pen and keyboard as high as do the students currently in pre-medical school?

All we have in our collegiate endeavors is the hope that all of us may save lives the best way to which we know how - and, for me, this is the best way. If my English degree and this time in school does prove all done for naught, I have a little quote by J. K. Rowling (from her 2008 Harvard Commencement Speech) to help me along my later years:

"But some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all. In which case, you fail by default."

No comments:

Post a Comment