Saturday, April 12, 2014

Nature and Human Nature Journals

I have been AFK and delving much further into some life experiences that I (sometimes) rather would prefer not to; but nevertheless, these experiences have taught me much more, and hopefully will bring to the (writing) table much more insight, especially here on my blog. I have recently written a few journals for my Nature and Human Nature class at university about which I am excited to exhibit, and I will post some of my favorites as the next few posts, starting with the following:

26 February 2014

I stare placidly at the snow surrounding me and the large oak tree at my back, wondering if I should have brought sunglasses – the sun shining on the large expanse of unbroken snow field is blinding. I’ve heard my relatives in Newfoundland, Canada generally often carry ski-type sunglasses with them in winter. How ill-prepared winter always seems to strike me in Missouri, though after twenty years I should be used to the extreme polar opposite conditions that occur over the winter and summer seasons in my native state.
Interesting that I’m making such simple realizations now…
I’m tempted just to put away my journal for a good amount of time before putting my thoughts together into something that does not just resemble stream of consciousness, though I’ve really put myself in a time constraint for the rest of the day’s homework; there isn’t much time to write outside of these thirty minutes I’ve allotted to write here at the farm.
They have the horses out today at the circular pin over to my left. Besides the building for the foals and medically treated horses – as well as the expansive ranch where they generally keep the horses – the only other things to break up the monotony of color in the landscape are those in that circular pin.
They really are beautiful, majestic creatures. I’ve never looked at a horse without thinking just how damn-near poetic anyone would sound trying to describe them.

The vehicles of earlier day,
Capable of making our ancestors’ flying dreams come true,
Horse-back riding with both sailing hair and mane.
Carrying our material burdens on their shoulders,
By a higher power rendered quiet and accommodating.
Trustee companions they were and always will be.

I say damn-near because I can remember from high school creative writing class that this bit of writing in no way comprises even the minimal rules necessary to be a poem. I enjoyed the poetry-writing assigned in that class, but haven’t quite indulged in it since. My first love in the field of creative writing is prose writing, though I do often find the need to describe things in writing in only a way that only poetry can express. Hopefully by my next visit here at the farm I will have a better grasp of my opinion on poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment