Saturday, April 12, 2014

Never to Steer: Fulfillment in the Practice of Saving Lives

Nature and Human Nature
Dr. Kelrick
11 April 2014
A slight irritation struck me today during my linguistics class – one I’ve never been accustomed to feeling. It was that I pictured in that class my mother when she was at this moment in her life, aged 20-going-on-21, and how she was learning and practicing to become a nurse. I then looked up (or rather resumed my full attention) to the lingual reconstructions lesson my professor was teaching. I thought how useless this time is being spent in my life. Not that linguistics is a particularly useless thing to learn, but it is when I think about the ways I hope to aid others in life. I know I won’t be able to save a life learning linguistics – especially with my mediocre proficiency and comprehension at the subject. But I may in fact save a life by writing a novel the way novels saved my life during my parents’ divorce. I may save many lives doing work as an environmentalist. I may make someone’s life as an editor or publisher of an author’s work, which may in turn create of her or him the opportunity to save lives through literature. I want no longer to be sitting in classes which make me feel little fulfillment.
            Though I understand the importance of a liberal arts education, as well as the importance of finishing this education and furthering my chances of having a “qualification” to make a difference in the world, I wish I could be spending this time in practice towards doing good. I would rather spend my time practicing these life-changing experiences than spending it on useless (in my opinion) linguistic study.
            I can see myself enjoying the beautiful, ever-changing seasons the way I do here and now while I do good in the world. As long as I find my way aiding another brave soul in need, and I am able to incorporate my love for writing, I know I will be fulfilled.       

No comments:

Post a Comment